Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Copyface

I was singing in my car today making up songs as I went. I couldn't help but wonder why my sounds would come out like they do. Are they based on a song I've heard before? Are they the exact same? Would you recognize them as a "rip-off" of that other band? I just wonder... This one song (not even sure of the lyrics that flowed out, loosely or not even rhyming ... something about shadows and friends and self-will) kept coming out sounding like a Yeasayer song which I've linked at the bottom of this post. I love them!!!
It's not like I had heard the song recently, or was trying to make it sound like anything. It just came out like that. I once hear that there is no such thing as a "new" creation- everything has already been done before. And my own addition to that is that we make it different and unique, our own version of whatever arises and our own collection of what we chose to favor. It's not about the what, it's about the how and the where and that which surrounds what. Nothing lives in a vacuum and no two fingerprints are alike.

Then again, repetition is soothing and meditative. It connects us with the eternal. Why not strive as hard as possible to be EXACTLY like your favorite artists, musicians, authors? What do you think you will find out about yourself, trying foolhardily to fit yourself in an unfitting cutout? Wouldn't you see your form better than ever before? Maybe. What have we gotten after 400 years of rugged individualism in this country? A bunch of depressed, fat, narcissistic monkeys who can't make eye contact. Lets copy our favorites!! Let's try as hard as possible to be the people we admire!! Lets squeeze ourselves into their pants and see what sticks out, and also see what fits.
Another blog meant to be a sentence that turned into another essay. Here is Yeasayer's O.N.E.-

MP3: Yeasayer - O.N.E. 

No comments:

Post a Comment